- Job Type: Full Time
Project Manager with minimum 3 years’ experience in steel construction or other related specialty construction field.
Overview of the Role
Project Manager (PM) is the most important person on a project, who’s ultimately responsible for the success of multiple projects. PM plans, organizes and controls every detail of the project and has intimate knowledge of the details of the project as well as technical competence. Coordinates and controls all elements of the project from award, through detailing, fabrication and erection until final completion. Identifies all cost impacts and handles in accordance with company procedure to ensure Change orders are received for all extra work. Provides overall management direction.
- Responsibility and Authority:
The project manager is, without exception, accountable for all aspects of their projects and makes all necessary decisions and takes actions that ensure a successful project. Schedules and coordinates activities of each project and attends regular job-site job and trade coordination meetings as required and follows up on all client requests. Project manager is responsible for their project’s technical, economical, and timely result. Must have knowledge of contract obligations and executes work in accordance with same. Attends job meetings as required.
- Cost Management:
The project manager tries continuously to reduce the cost of his projects via proper planning and innovations. Responsible for review of all returned shop drawings, revised drawings, documents, bulletins, field directives or addendums to determine the existence of any potential cost impacts. If review/pricing cannot occur within a reasonable time (3 days), PM ensures Project Engineer sends a Preliminary Initiation of Contract Change (PICC). Ensures P# (extra work) procedure is followed which entails the recording of the cost event in job file followed by its pricing. PM must be aware of estimated field labor and track same against actual time as construction progresses and notify upper management of significant cost overruns. PM should determine if labor overruns were due to unforeseen conditions beyond PIW’s control which may be recoverable. If overruns were due to poor estimate, provide feedback so future estimates include enough labor.
The Project Manager is responsible to help facilitate a healthy cash flow by submitting timely billings and projections, accurately approving A/P invoices, preparing and securing contract change orders. Controller’s office handles collections but Project Manager is occasionally called upon to help with difficult collections.
Knows the contractual obligations for safety on your project and helps maintain a site-specific safety program or task hazard analysis where required. Conduct informal safety inspections when ironworkers are onsite. Is knowledgeable with Papp Iron Works safety program and enforces it as required. Conducts informal safety inspections when onsite.
Prepares Requests for Information (RFI’s) as required. Prepares letters documentation all significant discussions or agreements relating to projects. To minimize liability, a Project Manager maintains a high awareness of construction claim avoidance and documents as required to shield firm from damages. Preparation of other documents as required for jobs. Some of these documents may include LEEDS paperwork, manpower reports, and other job-related schedules.
Aids Director of Operations in scheduling Ironworker crews for his projects. Orders cranes as required and communicates lift equipment rental needs to plant manager for rental. Identifies and attempts to resolve minor labor issues and interfaces with Director of Operations as well as ironworker foremen to ensure field installation is accomplished in a smooth, well-planned fashion with all necessary field conditions verified and material & special equipment coordinated for arrival to job-site as needed. Ensures all Ironworkers under their supervision are working efficiently. Responds promptly to any situations or challenges reported by the ironworker foreman on your projects. Ensures Extra Work Orders are used by Foreman to document hours of work on all unpriced extras.
The project manager position is challenging, complex and fast paced. To do it well, the PM must possess solid leadership along with excellent communication and planning skills. PM must be organized, goal oriented and be able to discuss planning and strategies with upper management.
- Performance Metrics:
Ability to monitor and control the shop drawing process from expediting submission, monitoring review process including follow ups on delayed approvals. Release all approved work into production once an item is approved. Reviews all bulletins issued and returned shop drawing approvals for non-responsive approval comments or approval comments resulting in extra work that requires PICC letter and P#. Ability to keep P# Status up to date with assignment & pricing of P#. Problem solving skills and successful pre-planning so that all projects are field measured, drawings released for fabrication on a timely basis and manpower, material, equipment is coordinated to arrive on site in the proper sequence and as needed to ensure optimal performance and customer satisfaction.
- 3-7 years of construction specific experience required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; Associate’s Degree or higher preferred.
- Ability to react well in a fast-paced environment & follow through on commitments.
- Highly motivated and customer service-oriented mentality with ability to build relationships is a plus.
- Highly detail oriented.
- Ability to quickly learn product knowledge and processes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, organize, and prioritize work.
- Must be self-motivated and punctual.
- Must be trustworthy and reliable.
- Must have knowledge of contract obligations and executes work in accordance.
- Best in Class: We empower our team to make decisions and manage their projects while providing superior customer service experience that seeks to make the “Best in Class”.
- Team Player who interfaces between outside erection crews and Sr. management to ensure field installation is accomplished in a well-planned fashion. Works closely with our inside detailing department and plant to expedite all items required.
- Excellent communicator being outspoken enough to represent the company’s best interest as well as attention to detail and organized.
- Drive: The job has deadlines which means we are seeking someone who has ability to get things done. Identification and timely processing of changes in scope of work requiring contract adjustments and negotiating and obtaining change orders.
- Capacity to use common sense and applied logic is critical.
- Desire to work for an industry leader and to be part of a winning team.
- Always act with integrity.
What We Offer
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance
- 401(K) retirement planning with employer matching
- Individual Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Training & Professional Development
- A Generous Personal Time Off Program including sick and personal days
- Auto allowance plus EZ pass and Gas
- Undergraduate degree (desired) High School or equivalent plus experience (minimum).
Papp Iron Works, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Send resume to the contact information below.
- Telephone: (908) 731 1000
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org